The "right" to vote
2010-07-18 16:33:22 UTC
Now I know that with our system of government schools there is every excuse
for people to be badly misinformed on critical issues. Let's face it ...
these government schools have been more interested in feeding you dogma than
the truth. Let's take the idea that our country is a democracy, for
instance. I would guess that virtually every government school in this
nation teaches its hostages (students) that the United States is a
democracy. Now don't you find this just a bid odd, considering the fact that
neither the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution or the
constitutions of any of the 50 state even contain the word "democracy?"
Isn't it odder still that the Constitution specifically says that our form
of government is "Republican?"
Yes .. there's a reason for this. Around the time of Woodrow Wilson the idea
of government welfare programs that were outside of the grant of authority
in our Constitution began to take hold. Politicians knew that if they
continued to tout the Constitution as the supreme law of the land, they
would have a rather difficult time getting their government welfare programs
enacted. So, the idea started to spread that we were a democracy .. a
country ruled by men and not the law. Whatever the majority of the people
(voters) wanted .. they got. After all, isn't that what democracy (majority
rule) means?

You might find it interesting to know what our founding fathers thought of
the idea of a democracy. There's an incredible book out there titled
"Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation. Here's your link if you
might like to get a copy.[1] The author, historian Joseph Ellis, tells us at
the very beginning of this book just what our founding fathers thought of
the idea of democracy. Here's what they thought of democrats:

: "... the term "democrat" originated as an epithet and referred to 'one
who

: panders to the crude and mindless whims of the masses.'"

I know ... it truly is amazing how that phrase pretty much describes the
Democrats of the day. For the most part the oratory of both Obama and
Hillary have been little more than examples of pandering "to the crude and
mindless whims of the masses."

So .. why have our government schools been so anxious to spread the
"democracy" lie? Because the more people believe that crap the stronger
government becomes. If the dumb masses can be convinced that, since we are a
democracy, the government should be able to do whatever the political class
convinces the majority of Americans it should do ... then we have stronger
politicians and weaker protections for our rights.

OK .. enough about the democracy thing. Let's move to another area of
widespread ignorance among the American people. Again ... you came by it
honestly. Government schools. I speaking here of the almost universal belief
that you have a constitutional right to vote in a federal election. Hint ..
.you do not.

I talked about this right to vote thing on the show a few days ago, and Web
Guy (the poor SOB) tells me that we have been receiving a string of rather
unfriendly emails from people calling me a moron, an idiot and other similar
names for my statement on the right to vote. Some of these emailers cite
various Constitutional provisions in an attempt to prove their brilliance
and my abject ignorance.

Look .. I don't really mind the fact that many of you have been
indoctrinated into this "right to vote" bit by our government schools. You
were had. You were intentionally misinformed. You should not feel ashamed
that you were fooled this way. After all, every where you go you hear about
this right to vote BS ... so it's no wonder you've bought it. The shame is
in sticking to your erroneous beliefs when the facts are presented to you.

Facts, you say? Yeah ... here are a couple of points for you to consider:

Let's make our first stop at Wikipedia. We'll make two stops. First, the
entry for "Voting rights in the United States." [2] There you will find the
following sentence:

There is no "right to vote" explicitly stated in the U.S. Constitution,
but only that they cannot be denied based solely

on the aforementioned qualifications, however, the "right to vote" may
be denied for any other reason (i.e. being convicted of a felony).

Next stop .. .the Wikipedia entry for "Sufferage." A subsection of this
entry covers the history of suffrage (the vote) in the United States. Here
you go:

In the United States, suffrage is determined by the separate states, not
federally. There is no national "right to vote". The states and the people
have changed the U.S. Constitution five times to disallow states from
limiting suffrage, thereby expanding it.

a.. 15th Amendment (1870): no law may restrict any race from voting
b.. 19th Amendment (1920): no law may restrict any sex from voting
c.. 23rd Amendment (1961): residents of the District of Columbia can
vote for the President and Vice-President
d.. 24th Amendment (1964): neither Congress nor the states may condition
the right to vote in federal elections on payment of a poll tax or other
type of tax
e.. 26th Amendment (1971): no law may restrict those 18 years of age or
older from voting because of their age
Moving right along now, here's an article written by Congressman Jesse
Jackson Jr. entitled "The Right to Vote." Jackson writes: "And yet the right
to vote is not a fundamental right in our Constitution." I guess that you
folks who have been sending in those emails are right, and the Congressman
is wrong ... right? Jackson has introduced a voting rights amendment in the
congress. Now just why would he need to do that if the right already
existed?

I'm not through with you yet. Let's go to Michael C. Dorf. Dorf is the Vice
Dean and professor of law at Columbia University. Dorf wrote this article
entitled "We Need A Constitutional Right to Vote in Presidential Elections."
[3] Tell me, would a law professor write a column calling for a
constitutional right to vote if we already had one?

Final stop ... the complete text of the decision of the Supreme Court of the
United States in the case of George W. Bush, et al., Petitioners v. Albert
Gore, Jr., et al. Take a look at Section II, Paragraph B. The very first
sentence there reads: "The individual citizen has no federal constitutional
right to vote for electors for the President of the United States unless and
until the state legislature chooses a statewide election as the means to
implement its power to appoint members of the Electoral College. U.S.
Const., Art.II, §1."

Enough? I would certainly hope so. So you clowns out there keep sending all
of those emails telling me what an idiot I am for saying that there is no
constitutional right to vote in a federal election. Read the sources I've
presented to you above ... and send me another email.

Some would say that intelligence can be measured by your ability to
recognize that you're wrong on an issue. Many times in my 38-year talk radio
career I've had to admit that I got something wrong. I hope I never grow too
old to learn. Some of you are already there.

By the way ... why is this issue so important to me? Well .... Look what
these damned voters are doing to the greatest experiment in governance in
the history of the world! Once we have accepted the truth - that they don't
have a constitution right to vote - then we can set about the task of
getting some of these dumb masses out of our voting booths. Think about it
... we offer parasites the opportunity to register to vote when they sign up
for welfare! What the hell kind of sense does that make?

The hell with the idea of pandering to the poor, poor pitiful poor. We
didn't put them there. They did it to themselves .. .and I damned sure don't
want them making decisions that can affect the way I live my life .. and how
much of the money that I earn I can keep. If we must, we'll take care of
them and make sure they don't starve, get basic medical care, and have a
place to go when it rains or gets cold. Fine. That's nothing we wouldn't do
for stray animals .. .but they sure don't need to be voting.

Oh ... and you people at Media Morons can kiss ole' Rusty.

[1]:
http://www.amazon.com/Founding-Brothers-Revolutionary-Joseph-Ellis/dp/0375705244/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203555346&sr=8-1

[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States

[3]: http://writ.news.findlaw.com/dorf/20001213.html
Sid9
2010-07-18 17:03:00 UTC
Post by
[...]
.
.
Now I understand your ignorance: Home Schooled